« Home | How's your knee? » | Practice the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence » 

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Sarah Edwards and suffering

Just heard again yesterday the letter that Sarah Edwards wrote her daughter Esther on the occasion of Jonathan Edwards' death. It is simple, yet speaks to the value of knowing God's hand is in the suffering you experience:

What shall I say: A holy and good God has covered us with a dark cloud. O that we may kiss the rod, and lay our hands on our mouths! The Lord has done it, He has made me adore his goodness that we had him so long. But my God lives; and he has my heart. O what a legacy my husband, and your father, has left to us! We are all given to God: and there I am and love to be.
Your ever affectionate mother,
Sarah Edwards

E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

Add a comment

 

About me

  • I'm RevReav
  • From West Linn, Oregon, United States
  • I am a humble pastor who was changed by God through reading the New Testament through in Greek in 2008. I want to share the experience in 2009 with anyone who wants to be changed, too.
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates