« Home | Charles Spurgeon: Preaching Through Adversity » | God Moves in a Mysterious Way -- by William Cowper » | 'Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus » | Dr. Livingstone, I presume? » | Resources » | When God Doesn't Heal by Mark M. Yarbrough Why do... » | The Gift of Suffering by Octavius Winslow » | Key Verses About God's Role in Suffering. » | Sarah Edwards and suffering » | How's your knee? » 

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Spurgeon Sermon

The sermon I cited yesterday included this perspective on suffering from Charles Spurgeon:
"It would be a very sharp and trying experience to me to think that I have an
affliction which God never sent me, that the bitter cup was never filled by his
hand, that my trials were never measured out by him, nor sent to me by his
arrangement of their weight and quantity"
This is certainly the perspective Job offers as we see God place limits on Satan's affliction. And, at the same time we see Job attribute the suffering he received from Satan to God's hand. And, for Job and Spurgeon, it proved comforting.

E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

Add a comment